Sunday, October 6, 2013

Lunch with Goti

 WHAT MAKES A MEAL

It could be nothing more than a Goto. A glass. From Venice. Here's one of them above, hand blown. It was a gift from a friend who came to lunch earlier in the summer. He explained just what a Goto was.

When the blowers of Murano had lunch they blew glasses for themselves out of leftover bits of glass that happened to be in their pots.

There was no scheme to it, as there would have been for a proper Murano product. What happened in the blowing happened.

Once lunch was done they destroyed the glasses, throwing them back into the molten glass byproduct. It was apparently Peggy Guggenheim who spotted them and had the blowers make her a set for her palace on the grand Canal. Never before had these glasses been taken seriously.

This was the choice of wine for our little Sunday lunch at home. We seem to be on a theme of the Veneto today!

Except for where the food is concerned. Melanzane alla parmigiana.

 We're at the end of our eggplant season. It seemed like a good idea.

 That's me, plating up.





11 comments:

The Swan said...

Your Goti of Melanzane is Very Guggenheim worthy! I cherish my collection gathered over the last 26 years, each a fragile beauty worthy of a butterfly wing...and bearing memories of beautiful moments in Venetian Light.

Parnassus said...

Hello Paul, I love the charming randomness of the elements in your goto glass. I had never heard this story, but it reminds me of the traditions in early American glass factories (and elsewhere) of end-of-the-day glass, using leftover oddments of glass to create various whimsies.

lindaraxa said...

Oh dear, what a treat. Amarone is one of my favorite Italian wines. Think I still have a bottle somewhere... Amazing what those Venetians can go with a glass!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh that looks so delicious, I adore eggplant, and that glass is amazing!

Paisley Curtain said...

The eggplant and Goti both are mouth watering :)
Best wishes

Laurent said...

I'm still dealing with the rarity of a portrait of the residues. Very gutsy.

dryheatblog said...

Of Italian descent, I completely understand such things as eating outside as much as possible, or plate residue! Though my Sicilian mother would have had a fit that much was left on the plate. This is great.

La Contessa said...

I just got back from Veince!
Went to see Peggy's home and art collection!
Now, i am in the know thanks to YOU!

Concrete Jungle said...

Hope all is well, although I love it when blogging friends take a break...so I can too I begin to wonder if all is fine! Hope you are just off in Palm Beach having too much fun to blog!

Daphne Bryson said...

Good Afternoon Paul, I was fascinated to read about the Goto glass. I visited Germany many years ago and I had the opportunity to watch a glass blower create his beautiful glass. It really is a fascinating process.... and your lunch, simple ingredients with a spectacular taste.... just perfect.
Best Wishes
Daphne

Daniel James Shigo said...

These glasses are a thing of beauty, as is your blog, which has been dormant, waiting for Spring. Wishing all all the best- Daniel