Friday, September 13, 2013

The Biennale: My Take

VENICE AND ART

This is Richard Wilson watching a video in one of the pavilions of the Giardini at the Venice Biennale. A city so stuffed with art of almost every type that if Stendhal Sindrome really existed you'd surely come down with it here.

There are articles and reviews of the show everywhere and most of them discuss the more important offerings. I've noticed things others may not have, such as this photo montage. Don't ask me who made it—if I'd stopped to read every tag I'd never have got through a thing like this.

These German building models are made by someone truly obsessed—there are hundreds of them here.

I very much liked the work of these two gentlemen. As you enter the Biennale main pavilion you come upon them, on the floor. There is no wall tag explaining who they are or what this is all about. One of them makes electronic sounding music with his mouth while staring the other in the eye as the other performs a kind of slow-moving dance, all very contemporary. What I admired here is that the art they make is made of almost nothing; there is no technology between the inspiring idea and the finished product.

Small efforts intrigue me, like this collage, a medium I'm not necessarily fond of.

And this jug.

Or this Turkish miniature. (Most of Venice's visitors this summer were dressed like this).

The American Pavilion was given over entirely to New York-based artist Sarah Sze. Perhaps the work comes off better in my photograph than in real life.

Gil deep in thought. About Mickey Mouse as serial installation. More to come.

5 comments:

Dean Farris said...

Love this...

v. Braun. said...

The Biennale is mostly crap. In recent years maybe only Stelios Faitakis was somehow ok and there was a year in the middle of the 80s when they had some geometric theme, as far as I can remember, that in concept wasn't too bad as well...

Carol said...

Did you see Shery Boyle? Canadian pavillion? She's so wonderful.

Sarah Faragher said...

Fascinating glimpse - thank you, Paul.

wellfedfred said...

loving the obsessive little house models!