Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Lucca Antiques

IL MERCATINO DI LUCCA

I hadn't been to the Lucca antiques market in ages. Held the third weekend of every month it's a trove of everything from real treasures to absolute junk. And it's always interesting to see what people are trading. This collection of monogrammed ribbons baffled me—it's like a work of contemporary art that makes some kind of reference to unlikely things beyond its own realm. I found no PG among them, alas.

The market is held in a series of small piazze in the historic center of town. This is Piazza del Giglio, and that is the early 19th century opera house.

People come from all over to poke through the curiosities, where sometimes you can even find a bargain.

I've been in need of a staircase for my closet and I admired both of these, but both were a bit on the big side.

This small birdseye maple Biedermeier table is quite original, but my house is full.

The lion is the symbol of Lucca, but also of Venice. This one's the Venice lion as he has his paw on a book.

A Biedermeier library or etagere. Things that could pass for 20th century were made in the Biedermeier era. Or is this in fact deco? Any guesses out there?

For the garden.


Children were little angels, long ago.

A reproduction Venetian style arm chair. They wanted €300.

There was a lot to shackle in the old days.


Doors from the 17th century.

I love Ginori.

I once wrote on an Olivetti. A bit newer than this one.

What a romance here!

He isn't quite sure he wants it.

I might have gone for this watercolor.







I was a bit perplexed by this. I quite liked it. Not bad.



That's the Duomo, San Martino.

Royal Copenhagen.

A nice drawing.



This is a rather humble painting of Florence from the early 19th century. That staircase along the river no longer exists.

A wonderful model of a fantasy boat.




8 comments:

Parnassus said...

It's nice to see some places still have well-stocked antiques markets--Taipei's has kind of dried up.

My favorite item here is the Venetian lion plaque--was it made from terracotta?
--Road to Parnassus

Therese Long said...

I loved a lot of the art you showed!
Did you leave empty handed?
Nice restraint....
I need more of that!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I would have spent a lot of time at that flea market — my choices would have been either of the Biedermeier pieces, or both!

Vittoria Gallacci said...

LOVE the fantasy boat ♥

Vittoria from 5 IN THE MORNING
http://vittoriafiveinthemorning.blogspot.it/

Rosemary said...

Some wonderful pieces to browse.
My guess would be that the 'Biedermeier' library or etagere is Art Deco - for me, the hidden round black bun feet are the clue.
The embroidered ribbons are a reminder of the ones my mother had made showing my name to sew into school uniform.

Elizabeth@ Pine Cones and Acorns said...

So many treasures and some junk to be sure. I loves the drawing of the young girl.

Have a beautiful weekend, elizabeth

Tallulah's Antique Closet said...

Luv the cast iron bench! Thank you for the lovely tour...

La Contessa said...

I had the same library steps at the HEN HOUSE before I closed.........I think I sold them for $195.00!!!