Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Bedroom

ANTIPRIMA

I'm not quite ready to show this but I'm doing it anyway—I've yet to hang the pair of drawings that go over the cabinet, etc. The Chinese cabinet, which looks as though we fished it out of the lagoon, was in fact found in a local antiques shop. It's from the mid-nineteenth century, to my estimate, and in very bad repair, but I love the patina and history it wears. It's scale is also interesting to me because similar pieces of this nature are usually much bigger in size—this stands under five feet in height.

The knit blanket is from Ralph Lauren and is impossible to fold in an orderly fashion, but I tell myself that I admire that casual touch. In this severe room of black and gray and white and to foil its masculine austerity, I've added, in a daring moment of abandon, a pair of pink pillows.

The television set is a black canvas—I'll be adding some other art around it. The desk is by Mark Hampton, and the tropical-themed carved chairs are from Java. The bow-front chest of drawers is Indian. The "Tico" table lamp is by Thomas O'Brien.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I love everything. I love the way you've made the bed, I love the lovely cabinet. The pillows are the right touch of whimsy. The wall color is divine, as are the lamps. I think I see a planters chair by your balcony doors...love that too! You are creating the perfect get-away. Thank you for sharing...k

Dean Farris said...

Paul, your place is really shaping up! I enjoy seeing what you're up to there, leggiadro, as the italians say! Do pop in and see my pal Leta Austin Foster, on Via Mizner North, and get some "euro" shams embroidered with your initials! Love the pop of pink on the pillows!

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello Paul:
It is so exciting for us to be able to see the way in which the Palm Beach apartment is coming together - and, of course, with what style. The Chinese cabinet is a wonderful find and creates an unexpected and unusual accent to the room while its painted decorations contrast so well with the greater severity of the rest of the furnishings. As for the grey, we love it!

Laurent said...

I appreciate how the rooms assert preference, a vigorous theme in the apartment which stimulates the visitor's delight and curiosity in many ways and in the present case, is naturally carried out with articulate discernment. Here there is much to give pleasure to the eye, but I am moved to regret the television, whose inclusion strikes me as an accommodation to intrusion, and whose elevation is jarring. I would have placed it elsewhere, but if in this room, at least off-axis -- possibly as eccentrically as your friend in Tuscany placed her swimming pool. But I have a practical reason. From this viewing platform we invariably have finer things to study.

The Devoted Classicist said...

It is interesting to see the pillows at the foot of the bed.

Mary Maki Rae said...

L:The Pink - so lovely - so soft - so unexpected- dare I say Romantic--
Bravo-! A little of what is needed on occasion in the world-!

lindaraxa said...

Boy, you guys work fast. Amazing how much you have accomplished in a relatively short time. I also noticed the pillows at the end of the bed. I'm liking that idea a LOT especially since I have just spend 3 weeks in bed with the flu.

I am headed down your way at the end of the month. Let me know if you will be there and maybe we can hook up. lindaraxa@gmail.com