Monday, April 23, 2012

Rolex Masters Monte-Carlo


TOURNAMENT TRAVELS

I've been doing this for years, every spring. The Monte-Carlo Tennis Masters Tournament. This year, the weather was almost perfect and the tennis, as always, was of the very highest standard. For the past three years we've had no Roger Federer, and that's regrettable, but almost all the other top ten male players were there. It's very exciting to see them in this close atmosphere. I took this picture from my Monday seat. The box with the Monaco coat of arms belongs to Prince Albert, who did not occupy it that day, but Princess Charlene did, momentarily.

There's lots of fun to be had for kids. They buy these big tennis balls and get their favorite players to sign them, and that involves a relentless chase all about the tournament spurred by rumors as to who's about to walk out of this or that door any minute now.

It's 10:00 AM and play is about to begin. I'm always among the first in the stands. It's like a private viewing.

There are those who prefer another aspect of this glamorous occasion. Tempted as I might be by the Fauchon fare I opt for the tennis and a sandwich.

10 comments:

columnist said...

Fauchon's fare looks tempting, but perhaps you could introduce him to your tailor?

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
You will, of course, be completely aware that the appeal to us would, rather sadly, be the 'Fauchon Fare' which certainly does look most glamorous indeed. And how wonderful to be served [no pun intended] luncheon by all those wonderful looking, white coated waiters [and, of course, the one waitress]. Such style!

But we are sure that the tennis was good too, and are sure that you will have enjoyed it immensely. We do hope so.

Laurent said...

Characteristically but by unashamed reflex, I identify with the oversized Dunlops and the autograph chase, which I indulged with a little calf address book at that age around the late Forbes Field, "signing up" everyone in the National League from Willie Mays to Warren Spahn. I would kill for one of those Dunlops as a spiritual toy about my library, the space of dreams. A shrewd digression in your report.

Paul Gervais de Bédée said...

I'd thought he looked rather smart, Col. Wrinkles are the new pressed.

Paul Gervais de Bédée said...

This comes as no surprise. To each his game, his agonies and defeats!

Paul Gervais de Bédée said...

It's fun to see the kids enjoying themselves thus; pity that a year from now they'll look at those scratchy signatures and say, Who?

Reggie Darling said...

Lovely post and divine photogs, Paul. I must admit the Fauchon tent looks most inviting...

Paisley Curtain said...

Smell of all that food must be a big distraction, but good tennis on a beautiful day like this must be more tempting.

Hélène Flont ✿Fine Art said...

Bonjour Paul!!
What a wonderful atmosphere it must be.
I opt for a sandwich or maybe two. They have exquisite sandwiches, especially the french " gougères" simple but perfect!!

Joseph the Butler said...

oh I wish I had seen this earlier, I would have looked for you in the stands. I have Tennis Channel at home and I'm embarrassed to say how much I watch it during the clay court season (and the Majors). Ah, Nadal, enough to make a grown man weak.