Sunday, March 11, 2012

Lucca Beach


A DAY AT FORTE DEI MARMI

It might not look it, but this too is Lucca, the seaside community of Forte dei Marmi, about half an hour from the old city center. It's a place to shop, to stroll, to have a lovely lunch on a Saturday, or to spend the whole summer, for that matter. We like it most in the early or late seasons, such as now, when the shops are getting in their new stock and there are very few tourists about.

It's not what you'd call a charming town, as most of it is rather new. In the early twentieth century it was playground to Italy's royal family and it's been a destination for the smart set ever since. That's Gil with his one acquisition, a couple of t-shirts for the gym.

But there are lots of appealing little spots for a light lunch like this one, which has invaded the road.

And if you like that sort of thing, all the chic Italian shops are here—all Italian, no Hermes or Vuitton.





This cafe is next to a wonderful shoe shop, Mauro Volponi.

Do these summer moccasins, at €295, seem expensive to you?

And of course there's the beach.

And the pier.

And Fratellini's, our usual lunch destination.


Scampi dancing on ice.

Italians are warming to the idea of Sushi. Just.

I stick with the classics of our Mediterranean favorites.



13 comments:

Jane and Lance Hattatt said...

Hello:
This all looks to be absolutely entrancing with such very stylish shops, favourite restaurants, the beach to hand and all within easy reach of home. We can readily understand its popularity in the past with the Italian Royal Family. This whole section of the town which, whilst it may be relatively new, has that relaxed elegance which, in our view, is becoming more and more difficult to find.

And the moccasins, in such attractive colours and so fashionable, one can readily forgive the price!!

Watkin said...

There are some details (the scooters in the first picture, for istance) that I would never have find worthing of interest, least of all of a photo. But, in this contest, I must admit they become quite interesting.
It's odd to realize I'm glad to live in Italy expecially when it's seen through the eyes of a foreign observer. :)

Desert Dweller said...

Beautiful scenic context from the pier, outdoor dining, and that nice Opuntia ficus-indica in the vertical, gray container. Must be rough...

YONKS said...

Looks wonderfully chic! The shoes are expensive :-) Buy them!
Di

Sarah Faragher said...

Thank you for the visual vacation, I particularly love that long view from the pier back to the mountains.

The shoes are too expensive. Buy a pair of Keds instead, for summer.
;O)

Reggie Darling said...

Very chic, indeed. I'll take the shoes in haf a dozen colors, please!

columnist said...

Such is my ignorance that I never associate Lucca with the beach. But of course I just need to look at a map, and it would have told me that. What I find particulary delightful is the tidiness and cleanliness of the streets, (not always something for which Italy is renowned). We have beautiful beaches here in the islands, but the Thai sense of beauty seems to have failed miserably, and the greed have overtaken the charm that once existed.

Paisley Curtain said...

It is a very nice place to go and unwind. It seems every peaceful from the picture but it may not be like that at the peak of the tourist season. As far as the moccasins are concerned they are worth every penny.
Best wishes

Paul Gervais de Bédée said...

That settles it, I'm buying them!

Mark D. Ruffner said...

I would go for the green moccasins. Somehow they seem even more extravagant.

Jeanne-Aelia Desparmet-Hart said...

LOVE this post. Get me on a plane NOW!

lindaraxa said...

Do you guys ever miss on a restaurant? OMG I thought I was full just a minute ago and now I'm starving...for shrimp, THOSE shrimp!

As to the shoes, you are asking the wrong person but I will tell you a little story. In my heyday I used to buy Tod's like lollipops. Some of them have traveled the world many times over and I am amazed how well they have kept their shape. I have yet to throw a pair out. Italian shoes, those that are hand made, are an investment. Don't think about it, just get them and if you can only get a pair get the green!

oh, and don't forget to replace the glass.

Kathy said...

The story and every shot is perfection. You've captured the essence of the place in a way that made me believe I could hear the water, taste the seafood, and see the Alps.....thank you...k